Prima Perspectief was established in March 2017, in cooperation with the municipality Utrechtse Heuvelrug. The project aims to offer perspective to newcomers (and others distanced from the labour market) in the municipality, by supporting them to volunteer in meaningful activities. This could be either with organisations or individuals. Experience shows, that after arrival and their integration course in the Netherlands, newcomers often become socially isolated. Offering volunteer work may give them a way out of isolation, help regain self-confidence, and offer perspective towards a meaningful life. Moreover, it may provide a possible step towards a paid job and the opportunity to improve on Dutch language acquisition.
Besides contacting potential volunteers from a variety of countries, Prima Perspectief also reaches out to organisations that are willing to get involved and are able to offer suitable activities for the volunteers. Examples of such activities are:
- Care: activity support in care homes, running errands for housebound people, assist in child care
- Environmental services: park and forest maintenance – e.g. park ‘de Heidetuin’ in Driebergen, Bartiméus’ herb garden
- Sports: the odd jobs for sports clubs, field maintenance, support during tours or tournaments
- Events: support the organisation of the ‘Speelweek’ in Driebergen, festivals, King’s Day, community festivities
- Local enterprises: work in the Eurowinkel or local thrift stores , assist at the fruit harvest